Tuesday, 12 May 2015 11:40

R1m booty missing after taxi boss killed

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Pietermaritzburg - The bail application of two men charged with the murder and robbery of Chase Valley taxi owner Clement Bongani Zondi (52) last January has heard evidence that he had R1 million cash at his home the day he was killed.

 

The money disappeared on the day of Zondi’s murder, but police were not able to establish what became of it.

This emerged during the evidence of investigating officer Willem de Wet, who is opposing the granting of bail to Zondi’s former taxi driver, Zamokuhle Zungu (31) and his ­co-accused, Zibonele Mkhize (49) — a ­human resources manager employed at Msunduzi Municipality.

He said police have reason to believe Zungu was aware of the R1 million in Zondi’s possession and that this was the motive for the pre-planned ­robbery.

 

However, immediately after Zondi was shot whilst he was preparing to leave for gym at 05:30 on January 29 last year, the killers jumped into his white Toyota Hilux bakkie and sped away. They also took his cellphone.

It is not known where the cash was at the time of the incident.

De Wet said police had never ­recovered the money, and none of the state witnesses had revealed any ­information relating to the whereabouts of the money, which is still missing.

“We don’t know what became of it,” said De Wet.

He said Zondi had allegedly fetched the money from a family residence in Sobantu the day before his murder, as he intended to buy a new vehicle.

De Wet told magistrate M. Boikhutso that he is opposed to Zungu and Mkhize being released on bail because they have reason to evade their trial if released, and he is also concerned about intimidation and interference with state witnesses.

De Wet told the court that he has no evidence that the two accused had personally threatened witnesses but testified that one of the state witnesses received an anonymous threatening phone call yesterday morning.

“We are going to follow up to find out who phoned,” said De Wet.

Zungu and Mkhize testified that they intend to plead not guilty to the charges and said they have lived in Pieter­maritzburg their whole lives.

They both denied that they would interfere with witnesses.

Mkhize told the court he has worked for the municipality for 19 years and earns a gross salary of R57 454 per month. He and his family live in a house in Prestbury that belongs to the municipality.

He said he can take early retirement in six years’ time, and would not leave his family and his career and flee.

He said he has no passport.

Zungu testified that he was ­currently still employed by Zondi’s son as a taxi driver, but after an outburst from a man who hurriedly left the courtroom, he said; “I thought this until I heard his utterances now”.

Members of the public were warned on two occasions yesterday by the magistrate to be quiet or the court would be cleared.

On one occasion when Zungu was asked how much bail he could afford a voice from the gallery was heard ­saying “one million”.

He told the court he can raise R500.

The bail application will proceed on May 13

Read 26355 times

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter the (*) required information where indicated. HTML code is not allowed.

  • R1m booty missing after taxi boss killed

    Pietermaritzburg - The bail application of two men charged with the murder and robbery of Chase Valley taxi owner Clement Bongani Zondi (52) last January has heard evidence that he had R1 million cash at his home the day he was killed.

  • Parliament's Powers and Privileges Act 'inconsistent'

    Cape Town - A section of the Powers and Privileges and Immunities of Parliament and Provincial Legislatures Act was declared inconsistent with the Constitution in the Western Cape High Court on Tuesday.

    Judge Andre le Grange said section 11 was invalid to the extent that "it permits a member to be arrested for conduct that is protected by sections 58(1)(b) and 71(1)b) of the Constitution".

    These sections provide that members are not liable to civil or criminal proceedings, arrest, imprisonment or damages for anything they have said, produced before or submitted to the National Assembly or any of its committees.

    "The provision in section 11 is over-broad and as a result is constitutionally flawed," Le Grange said.

     

    The Democratic Alliance brought the application against Speaker Baleka Mbete, chairperson of the National Council of Provinces Thandi Modise and the government.

    State of the Nation address

    Mbete and Modise had invoked section 11 during President Jacob Zuma's State of the Nation address on February 12, calling upon Parliamentary staff and security forces to forcefully remove members of the EFF from the joint sitting as a result of disturbances that were caused.

    At the heart of the DA's application was the contention that the section, properly interpreted, was only applicable to non-members of Parliament.

    "In as much as Parliament is entitled to conduct its own affairs, the privilege of freedom of speech is vital to allow Parliament to perform its function of permitting unrestrained debate about matters of public importance," the judge said.

    Le Grange suspended the full bench's order for a period of 12 months to allow Parliament to remedy the defect in the legislation.

    He also referred the order to the Constitutional Court for confirmation and said the respondents were to pay the costs of two counsels.

    The DA's executive federal chair, James Selfe, said outside the court he was very pleased with the ruling and that it would allow all members to speak "truth to power" and to fulfil their constitutional duty of holding the executive to account.

  • Mbete threatens to throw Malema out of National Assembly

    Cape Town - Speaker Baleka Mbete threatened to throw Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) leader Julius Malema out for interrupting a special questions session in the National Assembly on Thursday.

  • Xenophobic attacks erupt in Benoni - report

    Johannesburg - Xenophobic attacks erupted in Benoni on the East Rand on Thursday, Eyewitness News (EWN) reported. 

  • Foreigners leave Primrose police station

    Johannesburg - A group of foreigners who sought refuge at the Primrose police station in Germiston on Wednesday have gone back to their homes, Gauteng police said on Thursday morning.

  • Cops arrested for keeping hijacked car

    Johannesburg - Two police officers were arrested in Tembisa on the East Rand on Wednesday night for allegedly keeping a hijacked car, Gauteng police said.

  • Meet the health dept adviser who earns more than Zuma

    Durban - A consultant who has been employed by the KwaZulu-Natal Health Department since 2010 has earned more than President Jacob Zuma, bagging at least R15 million during the past five years.

  • Highway shooters had no fear - witness

    Johannesburg - A witness to the fatal shooting of two police officers on the N3 highway in Johannesburg described how the suspects brazenly walked up to the police car and began raining down bullets.

  • Public sector strike threat looms

    Cape Town - The three-year wage agreement between the government and the public sector unions expires on Tuesday, with the government having, on Friday, declared a dispute.  Behind-the-scenes talks are continuing, but a major strike now seems likely with the unions perhaps more united than at any time in the recent past.

  • Corpses left on beds 'for hours' at Free State hospital

    Bloemfontein - A Free State hospital is in the headlines again, this time for allegedly leaving corpses lying on beds for hours while letting one man die under suspicious circumstances.

  • Anti-Rhodes UCT students unite on Facebook

    Cape Town – University of Cape Town students wanting the removal of the Cecil John Rhodes statue are uniting not only on campus, but also on social media.

  • Former Mpumalanga police commissioner dies

    Johannesburg - Former Mpumalanga police commissioner Mhlabunzima Eric Nkabinde has died, the SA Police Service said on Thursday.

  • North West looters released on warning

    Johannesburg - Eighteen people who allegedly looted foreign-owned shops were released on a warning by the Brits Magistrate's Court on Thursday, North West police said.

  • De Kock still detained by security forces - report

    Johannesburg - Eugene de Kock is out of jail but has apparently been secretly handed over to security forces for detention against his will, The Star reported on Friday.

  • Nkandla: DA, EFF off to court if Zuma doesn't pay

    Cape Town - Both the DA and EFF say they will go to court if Police Minister Nathi Nhleko decides that President Jacob Zuma does not have to pay back part of the money spent on upgrading his private estate at Nkandla.

  • Chabane to get official funeral - Zuma

    Pretoria - Public Service and Administration Minister Collins Chabane will receive a category one official funeral at the weekend, the presidency said on Tuesday.

  • PMB prison without water for 10 days

    Durban - Inmates at Pietermaritzburg's New Prison have been without water for the past 10 days, the Witness reported on Monday.

  • Chabane driver was speeding - investigators

    Polokwane - A deadly concoction of speed and alcohol is believed to have led to the crash in which Minister of Public Service and Administration, Collins Chabane, and his two bodyguards died early on Sunday morning.